Joan Lim-Casanova provides litigation representation in a Formal Law Alliance with Clifford Chance. She has extensive experience in contentious work and dispute resolution, with an emphasis on commercial litigation and international arbitration.
Joan regularly acts for and advises Chinese private and state-owned entities to manage and avoid disputes in Asia (including Singapore, China, Indonesia, Vietnam). Joan is fluent in both English and Mandarin. Clients have commended Joan as one of the top young lawyers that they have worked with, a lawyer who has a good "grasp of the commercial realities" and "complete mastery of all the facts and events".
The matters which Joan has handled usually involve a wide range of applicable laws and arise out of diverse subject matters such as trusts, insurance, infrastructure, power generation and renewable energy. Joan often collaborates with a team of lawyers from different countries and practices to assist the clients achieve resolutions which are commercially practical.
Joan has also been consistently recognised by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as the "Next-Generation Lawyer” and "Rising Star" for Dispute Resolution.
- Defending a Chinese state-owned entity in a SIAC arbitration against claims of alleged breach of contract to build several manufacturing facilities in Indonesia. The claim was worth approx. USD 42 million
- Advising a Singapore listed company on its investments in Chinese companies and management of disputes in China
- Advising several international stakeholders on several disputes worth more than a hundred million against multiple counterparties arising from the construction of offshore windfarms
- Acting in a complex on-going claim for alleged breach of trust over disputed assets worth several hundreds of millions
- Acting for various international companies in arbitrations involving issues such as breach of a sale and purchase agreement, assessment of damages, etc.
News and client work
- +65 6661 2050
- Email me
- Speaks English and Mandarin
Career and qualifications
- National University of Singapore (LLB) 2006
- Admitted as an advocate and solicitor in Singapore 2007
- Senior Associate, Drew & Napier LLC 2007
- Joined Clifford Chance 2012
- Partner since 2020
Awards and citations
- “Rising Star"
The Legal500 Asia Pacific 2020 - Dispute Resolution
- “Next-Generation Lawyer”
The Legal500 Asia Pacific 2017, 2018 and 2019 - Dispute Resolution